Calling all Faculty Advisors and Permanent Representatives
Are you bringing a group to AMUN 2018? Great! We can’t wait to see you. This post has some information that we hope will help you navigate the initial logistics of Conference.
Getting to the Sheraton Grand Chicago
Flying in to O’Hare International Airport or Midway International Airport
Chicago has two major international airports, the O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and the Midway International Airport (MDW). AMUN does not recommend travelling through one airport over another, so choose whichever airport makes the most sense to your group. You have a couple of options for getting from either airport to downtown.
- Reserve an Airport Express Shuttle from O’Hare or Midway to bring you directly to the hotel.
- For O’Hare arrivals, take the CTA Blue Line Train downtown [Map]. You will need to walk or take a taxi from the CTA Station to the hotel. CTA transit times can take 45 minutes to an hour.
- For Midway arrivals, take the CTA Orange Line Train downtown [Map]. You will need to walk or take a taxi from the CTA Station to the hotel. CTA transit times can take 45 minutes to an hour.
- You can also take a taxi from either airport directly to the hotel. These trips will typically cost you 35 USD from O’Hare and 20-30 USD from Midway.
Driving to Conference?
Parking in Chicago can be expensive. The Sheraton Grand Chicago charges 55 USD a day to park in its first-come, first-serve spaces. The next closest parking location is an Ogden Plaza Parking which is cheaper but does require advance reservation for your parking space. A list of other parking options can be found on our website.
Arriving by Amtrak Train?
Make sure your train’s final arrival destination is the Chicago Union Station and then either walk or take a taxi from the Union Station to the Conference Hotels. Taxis from Union Station will run around 10-20 USD depending on time of arrival.
Tips for Hotel Check In
If you have not yet provided your hotel with the names of the individuals in each room, we strongly recommend that you do this before arriving at the hotel. Having the correct names on each room will significantly decrease the time required for hotel check-in.
Hotel registration should be completed at the front desk of the hotel at which your group is staying for the Conference. Please remember that hotel rooms will not be available until after 3:00 p.m. If your delegation arrives before 3:00 p.m. or must wait for rooms, AMUN has arranged for participants to use the Riverwalk Room on the lower level of the Sheraton Grand Chicago as a waiting/staging area to reduce congestion in the lobby and to provide participants some space to work.
The bell stand should be prepared to hold your luggage if needed; if there are any questions about holding luggage, please identify yourself as being with the American Model United Nations Conference.
You must provide the Sheraton Grand or Hyatt a method of payment before arriving for Conference or you will be asked for a credit card for full payment at the time you check in. Please be certain to take some time now to confirm that you have made appropriate payment arrangements with your hotel to prevent any delays or problems at check in.
AMUN Conference Registration will be located on the Sheraton/Chicago Ballroom Promenade, immediately outside of the main ballrooms on the Fourth floor of the hotel. AMUN registration will be open from 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. For schools arriving later, Registration will reopen in the Ohio Room after the Opening Plenary Session, at approximately 7:30 p.m.
Now is a good time to review the Conference Agenda. When your group registers you will receive a Conference Program for each delegate and faculty member attending AMUN; extra copies will be available throughout the week at AMUN’s Conference Services.
In addition to the printed program you can also view the complete agenda by:
- Downloading the Conference Guidebook App. For more instructions on the Guidebook App please refer to the Conference Preparation Newsletter from 05 November 2018.
- Add the AMUN Events Calendar to your mobile/digital calendar. This can be done by clicking HERE.
- Viewing the 2018 Conference Program, available on online.
Keep Up With The Accords
Subscribe to the AMUN Accords via email:
More to read
The AMUN Accords is a premier resource for fact-based Model United Nations simulations. We are always looking for new contributors. Want to write for the AMUN Accords? Check out out the submission guidelines and then get in touch!