All participants of the in-person AMUN Conference must have completed the primary course of vaccinations against COVID-19 and verify as such upon arrival. There are no exceptions or exemptions to this policy. In addition to the primary course of vaccinations, we are also requiring EITHER:
- A booster shot after 15 July; OR
- For those who are unable to obtain a booster, proof the participant is negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to the start of Conference on 19 November.
Participants who are unable to meet these requirements, for any reason, should opt into the virtual conference option. Participants who arrive in Chicago who are not vaccinated or cannot verify vaccination status as described in this policy can participate only in our virtual conference.
Vaccinations are Mandatory
To participate in the in-person AMUN Conference each attendee must comply with the policy stated above. The following are the only approved vaccinations for participation in the AMUN conference:
As of 2 September, the Centers for Disease Control strongly encourages that each person receive the Omicron-Variant Vaccine Booster (“bivalent booster”). AMUN also strongly encourages all participants to have their seasonal flu vaccination before the conference.
Vaccination Verification is Required to Receive Credentials
In order to receive their credentials, each participant must bring both (1) a state-issued or school photo-ID card and (2) proof of their primary vaccination and, if they have not received a vaccine or booster after 15 July 2022, proof the participant is negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to the start of Conference. Each participant must present their own ID and vaccination records. Credentials will be given only to those individuals who can verify their compliance with this policy. This process will be separate from AMUN’s usual registration process, which will continue to be done by school and delegation.
For proof of vaccination, we accept any of the following methods, as outlined by the CDC:
- Verifiable records – Vaccination certificate with QR code1, digital pass via Smartphone application with QR code1 (e.g., United Kingdom National Health Service COVID Pass, European Union Digital COVID Certificate).
- Non-verifiable paper records – Printout of COVID-19 vaccination record or a COVID-19 vaccination certificate issued at national or subnational level or by an authorized vaccine provider (e.g., the CDC vaccination card).
- Non-verifiable digital records – Digital photos of vaccination card or record, downloaded vaccine record or vaccination certificate from official source (e.g., public health agency, government agency, or other authorized vaccine provider), or a mobile phone application without QR code.
No other method of verification will be accepted.
For photo ID, we accept any of the following:
- Government-issued photo ID (including but not limited to a driver’s license or a passport)
- College- or university-issued photo ID
AMUN will not retain any health or sensitive data on any conference participant.
What if I forget my Vaccination Records?
Without credentials, no one will be allowed into committee rooms or AMUN offices. If you do not bring your vaccination (and other relevant) records, you will not be permitted to receive credentials or remain on the conference floor. If you are able to receive your vaccination records after the start of Conference, you may pick up your credentials in AMUN’s Executive Office in the Ohio Room on Level 2 of the Sheraton Grand during all conference hours after the conclusion of the Opening Plenary Session. No exceptions to this policy will be permitted. We thank you for your commitment to the health and safety of all participants and the AMUN and Sheraton Hotel Staff.
Participants who are not able to provide documentation sufficient to verify their vaccination status as described above will be offered the opportunity to participate in AMUN’s concurrent virtual simulation. The virtual simulation was designed as a reasonable accommodation for those who are not able to meet the vaccination requirement and will operate much the same as the in-person conference. Please note, participation in the virtual simulation will require access to an internet-connected computer and require participants to switch committee and possibly country assignments. If in-person participation is desired, vaccination records and ID are non-negotiable requirements.
Masks are Mandatory
AMUN will require all credentialed attendees to wear a mask at all times while on the Conference levels of the hotel. Masks must adhere to State and CDC guidelines and must cover the mouth and nose at all times while in any part of the Conference venue. We define the conference levels as the following areas of the Sheraton Grand Chicago:
- Lower Level: also referred to as the Riverwalk level, this is the site of the Rules and Roleplaying sessions on Saturday, the nighttime social area for representatives, and the location for the representative dance.
- Level 2: This floor is one level below the hotel lobby and houses all of the AMUN Offices, the International Court of Justice, the Security Councils, and all FA/PR scheduled events.
- Level 4: Also referred to as the ballroom levels, this area has all other conference simulations, AMUN registration, and AMUN’s Conference Services.
Any participant not wearing a mask will be asked to put one on immediately or leave the conference level immediately. There are no exceptions to this policy. Any students or faculty advisors unwilling or unable to adhere to this policy are encouraged to remain home and attend AMUN’s virtual simulation. Refusal to comply with the mask policy will result in ejection from the Conference.